Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Slow and Steady Wins the Race...

Well our lessons have slowed some as we've been trying to find a routine for our lives... Our sweet little newborn went through a huge growth spurt during the tail end of last week and during the weekend, so I was really tied up feeding him and tending to him (because let's face it... if a newborn is awake, they feel it's their duty to dirty a diaper at least two or three times an hour... lol). He seems to have slowed down now and is sleeping more and eating less for now, so it's back to school!

The kids and I *have* been doing fun stuff even though academically it's been slow... we made cupcakes last week and cookies this week - and we've been doing playdates and such again... so it's all good!

This week we are still doing jungle animals and addition.... and we'll be getting started on discussing kangaroos, kites, and hot & cold. I have to take the kids to the library tomorrow to pick up some books on those. :) We've worked through OPGTR Lesson #72, so that's good too! I'm enjoying watching DD read, but find myself frustrated that she will read a word with a silent E with the short vowel sound first and then when my finger doesn't move from behind the word (signalling to her that she read it incorrectly), she'll say, "I mean..." and read it correctly. Another thing I'm frustrated with is that she gets B and D confused.... I know it's common, but I hate it nonetheless. lol Oh well!

Besides all of that, no complaints! School is going slowly, but surely and I know this kind of week is more than okay! They are REAL life and that's alright! I try and remind myself that the kids learn so much from real life experiences and *gasp* PBS. hehe

1 comment:

  1. how did you teach grace to read? is there a special curriculum or program out there?

    ReplyDelete