Sunday, October 4, 2009

My baby is here!!! (and getting back into the swing of things)

My sweet baby has arrived! On Sept 27th (Sunday) right before 10 in the morning, we welcomed a baby son into our family! :) I had a great homebirth, followed by a bummer of a hospital transfer for me (retained placenta or amniotic sac caused some gnarly bleeding), but we were back home by Monday! The kids stayed with my mom on Sunday and Monday and came back that night... it's been great! The baby is very peaceful and mellow and rarely cries or fusses! We are totally in love!!!

That said, we have had the opportunity to get some lessons in since we've been home. DD has completed about 10 assignments since last week which is great! We've had a good time sort of taking it easy and trying to get into it. We've been working on finishing up the Week 12 assignments as well as digging into the Week 13 stuff.

We just did half of our first reading lesson this week and I plan to finish that up before bedtime and maybe get her to do a page from Explode the Code as well. I don't want her to get behind on her phonics instruction!! I will say, though, that even though we haven't been working on reading formally, she's been reading ANYthing and EVERYthing all over the place! She's also been reading to me and DS from her phonics readers of her own initiative. It's been awesome to watch that!!

I hope to get back into the swing of things slowly but surely! DH is going back to work part time this week and full time the next week, so I hope to kind of get a groove going between now and then! So far I think we'll be utilizing the afternoon when oldest DS takes a nap and youngest DS will probably be napping as well. :) This seems to work best because I can give my undevided attention to her.

OH! One more thing. DS apparently knows about half of the alphabet letters AND their sounds! I guess that Letter Factory DVD has come to the rescue again! I'm amazed and what he shows me when we look at an alphabet book. He'll point to the letter, tell me what it is, say it's sound, and tell me a word that begins with it! What a smartie!!! I can't wait to see what else he pulls out of his hat! He's also picked up on almost all of the colors and shapes without direct instruction as well! Hooray for older siblings!! :) I also caught him doing a drawing today. He told me it was Barney - and the figure had a head, 2 arms, 2 legs, feet, and hair! It's exciting to see him develop and change and learn so rapidly. I'm thinking potty training is coming up now! I hope to have him trained by his 3rd birthday (in January).

Talk to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment