Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Moving right along! :)

We are plugging right along with the curriculum. Yesterday we only read 2 books, but today we've already started learning about addition (something DD understands with concrete objects...but I'm introducing the addition and equal signs now and she thinks it is cool!) and done about 6 activities! Hooray!

It seems like we read more and more books every week. Last week, we read something ridiculous like 18 books in 24 hours. They just have a hunger for it and I think it's awesome. We've been reading a mix of books related to their science instruction (for example, this week we have a jungle theme - some science books, some fun books with jungle animals), math instruction (I have about 5 books related to addition here for this week), and the season/holidays (lots of fall books... we did Columbus books last week and we've read several Halloween books as well). I love that they are learning quite a bit through this reading even if we don't have time for formal instruction. They also choose other books when we go to the library, so it's always a fun mix around here!

The kids got to watch "The Jungle Book" this weekend since we're doing a jungle theme this week. They both LOVED it and were cracking up the whole time. It was really cute to watch!

DD is doing well on her reading instruction. We are on lesson 70 of OPGTR and she is loving being able to read things with the silent E, as well as -th, -sh, -ch, -tch, -ck words (amongst others). She is reading EVERYTHING!

I've been carefully watching DS. He has been recognizing a ton of letters and their sounds lately, so I've been casually doing an evaluation to see what he does (and doesn't) know. He's been playing with magnetic letters a lot more lately. He also loves to play with flashcards and usually chooses dinosaur flashcards, but he's been choosing phonics and rhyming word flashcards for the past week or so. :)

That's all for now! Talk to you all again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment