Friday, September 18, 2009

Fish, Feelings, and patiently awaiting Baby#3's arrival!

So I started the system of the stack of books with activities stashed inside for my DD to do this week (and it looks like next week too!) since I am now 39 weeks, 2 days pregnant. ;) She has LOVED it!! She just needs to read 1 more book with me and do the corresponding assignment plus one page of Explode the Code to be all caught up for the week and we can get that in easily tomorrow.

I'm really loving this method of teaching because it "forces" us to do a lot more reading, reflecting, and fun stuff! She looks forward to picking out a book and my DS has been tagging along like crazy lately!!! DD is also doing VERY well on her reading lessons from OPGTR and I am so grateful for that. She requests to do the reading lessons and truly enjoys them because it unlocks so many new words. She is reading EVERYTHING she comes across and loves learning new "rules" to phonics.

When we got down to just having 3 books left for the week, I went ahead and put out the books for next week as well, so we're not exactly doing the assignments sequentially, but it's good enough! The social studies theme for both weeks is the same (feelings/emotions) and the science is close enough (Fish this week and zoo & farm animals next week). The letters we're going over are F and G and we're reviewing numbers 1-10 (even though she's well beyond this, I like sticking to the curriculum as it truly keeps her sharp on her facts with these!).

The workbooks came in and my kiddos are LOOOOVING THEM!!!!! DS begged to do the pasting activities today and managed to complete a stack of around 8 of them! DD has done about 8 or 9 herself. She does her own cutting AND pasting, whereas 2 year old DS just pastes and I do the cutting for him. I'm so proud of him for wanting to "sit down" and do school work with me. I love that he sees how much fun school is and wants to be a part of it too.

Hopefully my next update will include some birth details! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment