This week has been fun! I just LOVE the flexibility of homeschooling! I have felt really tired and have had terrible pregnancy insomnia the last 2 weeks, so I nap for at least an hour a day....and then if we have errands to run or something important to go to, it seems to throw our "normal" life out of whack! The awesome thing is that we can pick up where we left off the next day, do assignments before bed, or I can shorten what we're doing to save time and preserve interest in the activity... I love the versatility!
This week has been all about dinosaurs and Native Americans. Mainly the Native American studies have been in the form of reading folk tales and watching a few online vidoes that mainly have folk tales. At age 4, I'm happy to just expose DD to these things and am not concerned about teaching everything like different tribes or ways of life or whatever in more complicated terms. She has gotten a general overview and we'll go over more as we get into a study about the pilgrims next week. :)
The dinosaurs have been fun! We made "dinosaur eggs" 2 days ago. Simply hardboil some eggs, crack the shells (but do not peel), put 2-3 cups of water in a bowl, dissolve an envelope of Kool-Aid into it, place about 4 eggs in there and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days. It makes a cool crackle effect on the white of the egg and my kids gobbled them up for breakfast! We've also done some rhymes, TONS and tons of dino books, and we did dinosaur cookies today. It's been fun because my DS is soooo into dinosaurs anyway, so my little 2.5 year old guy has been compeltely engrossed in his big sisters' school every day. I love it!! He pulls up his chair and wants to be in on all art and reading activities! He even wanted to practice writing Ds when his sister was doing some writing worksheets. hehehe
I am continuing to school my DD as "normally" as I can right now, even though I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy. It gives me something to do, it keeps her in learning mode (and she LOVES staying busy with activities anyway...they might as well be educational!!!), and I especially like that she's learning more reading concepts since she's trying to read EVERYTHING now!
Have a great Labor Day weekend, everyone! :)
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment