I decided it was time for me to start a blog about my homeschooling adventures! I loosely blogged about the home preschool that I did last year (from October to May is when I had it), but dropped the ball...
Now that I'm doing more formal education with my 4 year old DD, I decided I should write about it! Maybe others can benefit from it....and it'll be a great place to brag about the cool stuff we do. hehe
Here's a run down of our family:
1 daughter - age 4
Kindergarten (We are finishing up week 4 this week!)
Curriculum (as of this moment):
*Home Education Curriculum: Kindergarten
*The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (We are on lesson 23.)
*Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code worksheets (We have finished the first primer and are moving on to the next 2. I realize that I could probably move her into the Explode the Code series with book 1, but I want her to find a sense of accomplishment and comfort in doing sheets on things she already knows....plus I feel like it's great practice and reinforces those skills she's just recently acquired!)
*Various workbook pages as needed, especially for math concepts. She LOVES worksheets!
We started our school year "early" because I want to make sure she gets through the curriculum this "school year" even if we have to take some breaks due to the new baby or anything else that might come up. She also really likes doing schoolwork and her behavior is better on the days that we have some structured learning activities!
1 son - age 2 1/2
Preschool
Curriculum (as of this moment):
None! ;) Informal education at its finest.
He enjoys watching the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD and loves playing with magnetic alphabet letters on a cookie sheet, drawing with dry erase markers on a white board, playing the Brown Bear Brown Bear game with his sister, playing with flashcards, listening to stories I read to his sister for her schoolwork, and getting in on some crafty projects. He mainly just likes to play and I like that for him! I plan on getting him into more academic stuff in the next year or so but don't think that rushing him this early will accomplish a whole lot. :)
1 unknown gender baby in utero
Due in late September
We are quite excited for the arrival of baby 3! The kids are well-aware that there is a baby in my tummy and they both "bond" with it in different ways. I'm planning a second homebirth VBAC and am looking forward to it! :) I think that the transition this time should be slightly smoother because I've got a lot more structure, discipline, and drive than I did with the last two...lol I have been getting progressively better!!!
I guess that about does it on the introduction! I can't wait to see where this blog goes! :) I really need to post soon with pictures of our learning system and this would also be a fun place to kind of keep track of all the cool units we study! Stay tuned!
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment